The declaration entitled “Powering a climate neutral, competitive and secure Europe", published on 6th November 2019, calls on EU policymakers to accelerate the uptake of clean and renewable electricity as the most cost-effective and energy efficient strategy to deliver a climate neutral Europe.
The declaration was published by AIE and its 8 fellow Electrification Alliance core members who have received the support of 100 organisations from major industrial sectors and civil society, all rallied behind the Alliance's vision of climate neutrality through electrification. One of the supporting and signing organisation is the Association of Energy Market Innovators.
The Declaration calls on EU policymakers to deliver a meaningful Green Deal and fast-track Europe’s electrification by:
- Mainstreaming clean and direct electrification in the heating, cooling and transport sectors (including heat pumps and electric vehicles), as the most cost-effective and energy efficient strategy to address climate change;
- Supporting a robust industrial strategy towards climate neutrality to ensure Europe’s leadership in renewables-based, decarbonised and digital electricity solutions including electrolysers;
- Ensuring that investments in energy networks, especially smart electricity grids, support the transition to a climate neutral economy;
- Modernising the energy taxation regime to accelerate the shift towards decarbonising electricity consumption and increased uptake of clean electricity in end-use sectors;
- Securing sufficient financing in the EU budget to support regions and Member States with a different starting point, including a meaningful Just Energy Transition Fund;
- Targeting Research and Innovation funding to accelerate a cost-effective transition in hard to abate sectors (e.g. cement, shipping, aviation), notably through an increase of the Horizon Europe budget to €120 bn.
The Declaration "Powering a climate neutral, competitive and secure Europe". 6th November 2019.